Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find some of the most common questions we regularly receive. If your question is not answered on this page please feel free to contact our Support team.

What are court fees and third party fees?

Access Fees are more commonly known as State Fees are clerk fees established by the courts. These fees will be added to the cost of the report.
Some education and employment verifications require the use of third-party automated systems that some companies require us to use. Some third party vendors may assess a fee in the process of us requesting information.

What is the Fair Credit Reporting Act?

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is a federal law that regulates how consumer reporting agencies use your information. Enacted in 1970 and substantially amended in the late 1990s and again in 2003, the FCRA, among other things,restricts who has access to your sensitive credit information and how that information can be used. It is enforced by the US Federal Trade Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and private litigants.

For more detailed information, please read the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What documents are required before conducting a background check?

All applicants must receive the following documents before a check can be conducted.

  • Background Disclosure and Authorization Form
  • Summary of Rights under the FCRA

  • For California applicants - the Summary of Your Rights under California Civil Code 1786.22 must be provided.
    For New York applicants - the Article 23-A of The New York Correction Law must be provided as well.

    What are disclousure and authorization forms?

    The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that a disclosure and authorization form be filled out and signed. The Disclosure and Authorization form is a single documentation used to obtain the candidate's authorization to perform a background check.

    What is the purpose of an Adverse Action letter or a Pre-Adverse letter?

    Pre-adverse and Adverse Action letters gives the applicant the opportunity to dispute information found in their C3 Intelligence Background Check, in the event that the applicant believes is incorrect. These steps were designed to provide applicants protection from mistakes as a result of mistaken identity, outdated information, etc.

    What is an Expungement?

    An expungement occurs when a criminal record is removed or muted by a judge. If you believe a criminal record has been expunged we strongly recommend that you visit the Foundation for Continuing Justice. They offer a free service to those who have had their criminal record sealed, expunged, set aside, or otherwise modified by the court and they can assist you to have this information updated or removed from private companies who provide the information for private background checks.

    As part of C3 Intelligence's participation in the Expungement Clearinghouse, we receive electronic updates from the Foundation for Continuing Justice about verified expungements and we update our database accordingly. This does not affect your rights or options to contact us directly.

    What is Fingerprinting Vs. A Name Based Background Check?

    Fingerprint and name based background checks can lead to a false sense of diligence. Please contact our sales department to determine if a Fingerprint or Name Based Background check is right for your business. Below, is a quick chart comparison:

    Search Characteristics Fingerprint Check Comprehensive Name-Based Check
    Complete up-to-date case Information NO YES
    Cite and Release cases NO YES
    Residential Jurisdiction Coverage Possibly YES
    Re-Verification of Date Needed YES NO
    Identifies Fingerprint Personal Indentifiers
    Application Rights NO YES
    Best Practices / National Standards NO YES
    What do I do if something in my background report is wrong or missing?

    Our reports contain information given to us by the courts and Credit Reporting Agencies.

    If you feel there was an error in your report, please start the process through our online dispute form here.